Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Love Does Not Boast



Boast-To glorify oneself in speech; talk in a self-admiring way.


Hmmm.... this one is hard. I mean, it's not something to be taken lightly. I am sure there are people who may think I am boasting when I post how much exercise I have done. I am sure there are some people who may think I am boasting when I post so many pictures, or things that I have going on in my life....but the truth is...to know whether or not a person is boasting is to know what the motivation behind what they are saying and doing is.

For me, most of the time, I am sharing to share. I adore the people in my life and I long to share my life with them and share in their lives! People and relationships are key to me. People are key. My heart aches with the person who is having trouble and my heart rejoices with the person who is experiencing happiness and joy!

I honestly do not think that highly of myself. I realize that if it were not for God in my life, I could be who knows where doing who knows what- and completely unhappy, unfulfilled...I share where I am in my life right now as a testimony that if I can do it...if I can be happy, if I can get fit, if I can rise above the crap that sometimes gets handed to us in this life- SO CAN YOU! So can ANYONE! And though I do not want to shove God down anyone's throat- because I do not believe He is that way...if you get to know me as I share my life, you will undoubtedly know that I credit Him with turning my life around.

If you knew me when I was much younger, you knew me as a girl without direction. A girl who longed to feel loved. A girl who tested and pushed the limits of everything and everyone. Including God. When my best friend was killed by a drunk driver while riding her bike, (she had asked me to be on that ride) I declined to get my chores done. I think I was 10... I literally got on my bike, closed my eyes and rode telling God that if He was really there, he would take care of me. Next thing I knew I was flying over my handle bars as I had run off the road and into some bushes. I clearly heard a voice say, "Do not test the Lord your God." I had tested Him. But, in my stupidity, (riding a bike on the road with closed eyes- hello?) He didn't allow much more to happen to me other than some scrapes and a little scare.

That wasn't where it ended, though. I took my life into my own hands time and time again through my teen years. I did one stupid thing after another. I made some bad choices and could have ended up in a very bad place. I could have been dead- or caused the death of another.

I know that I am rotten without the good, the love, the joy, the patience, the peace, the kindness and the love that God places inside me. I know that all of the anger issues I used to have - God has taken. (I used to punch holes in walls....now I cannot imagine doing that sort of thing.) I know the anxiety I used to feel- the feeling of not being good enough- or not feeling loveable- has changed.....

I have loved this verse- "I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength." I KNOW, KNOW, KNOW that anything good I can do is because of Him. I have made it through some really tough times, just because I knew He was with me and would get me through it.

I do kid around sometimes....like "Oh yeah....look at this-" and I do this as I am teasing someone. The reality is...I will ask my husband, "What can I do to be a better wife to you?" I ask my kids, "What can I do to be a better mom?"  I ask God, "Help me not to do this.... or help me to do this...show me how....teach me....lead me...." I acknowledge every day how far from perfect I am. And, it feels good to know that I don't have to be perfect! I can be loved and accepted for who I am- just the way I am as I continue to grow and learn on this journey called life.

No comments: