Sunday, January 8, 2012

Blinders

The other day, I was playing Zuma Blitz and Bejeweled on facebook. (Believe it or not, two of my main reasons for getting on there right now.) Anyway, as I was relaxing playing my games, I heard a movie in the background. In the movie they were talking about how horses wear blinders in races so they will focus on the goal and not be distracted by whatever is surrounding them.

Immediately, I thought about this verse below. (Funny, this morning it was the exact verse that Tim Tebow shared on facebook.)

Tebow is probably focussing on the challenges that face him today. Big playoff game against my favorite team, the Steelers! He is focussing also, I am sure, as always, on being a Christian and his relationship with the Lord. I imagine it is difficult sometimes. He could become unfocussed thinking about possible negative outcomes, about Harrison hurting him, about all the people who criticise him for openly praying and talking about his Christian faith.

I, however, am thinking about my own journey. I am trying to be a good wife and a good mother. I am focussing on opening a place for teens in our tri-town area. Those are my "races". Distractions abound. Mess around the house, a huge to do list that could seem daunting if I allow it, loads of laundry needing put away, seeing some unbelieveable numbers that could make the goal seem unattainable if I let my mind go that way, or how about my lack of experience- my knowing that I know so little and am nothing spectacular?.....but, I am chosing, like a horse running a race- to put my blinders on. Not to let those things- visions, people, thoughts, lists- distract me, or worry me, or bring me down.

In the movie, I also heard him talk about how so many people out there had to start without experience...he had a huge list.(I wish I could remember it!) I felt encouraged. It is true- everyone starts somewhere. Most people don't start anything as an expert- but as they plug along and develop- they GAIN experience. The verse below says- "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses...." Yes, I am thankful that I can refer to Bible stoires and realize that most people God used in the Bible were imperfect, inexperienced nobodies - but they had FAITH- and FOLLOWED!

So, yeah- right now, although I want my team to beat the Broncos, I can totally relate to what my favorite Bronco player- maybe favorite football player period right now- has shared this morning.

Hebrews 12:1-2
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

No comments: