Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Remembering....

11 years ago today, I was at home with my 4 daughters (who were then 10 months, 2, 4 and 5 years old) when I received a phone call from my dear friend, Emanda, asking if I saw the plane crash into a NY city building on TV. I had not. I was busy getting my girls ready to go see my grandmother and stay with her for a while that day- to keep her company and look after her.
I turned on the radio when we were in the car. I heard about it on the news and when I got to my aunt's house to be with Grandma, she had it all on TV. It sort of seems like a blurr. It sort of seems like a nightmare.
I remember seeing the video repeatedly. Smoke pouring from the buildings, bodies falling out of the highest heights- it looked unreal. I couldn't take it anymore after a while. I had checked on friends we had in the city and friends we had who might have been at the Pentagon that day.... I felt sick. My world seemed to be shaken. I never really realized the full capacity of evil people had in them until then, I imagine.....
I stayed away from the TV, the radio, everything media related. I didn't think I could feel any worse. I had no idea tears could keep being produced that long. I realized, I didn't even lose a loved one in the incidents...I felt absolute agaony over those many, many people who did.
Then, something amazing came out of the tragedy. People were being recognized as heros. People were actually looking into the eyes of their fellow Americans and CARING. A shift happened in our nation that terrible day. It drew us all together in a way that I had not remembered in my life time. I heard people say it wouldn't last long.... but to me, it seemed to last for quite a while.
I find it interesting how bad draws out good. How loss makes us appreciate more life and gain.
I think it is right on this day, 11 years later, to remember how we pull together. How we have many many heros in our midst even still today. People in the armed forces, people who fight fires, police, rescue workers... and even just the regular average Joes who are walking around with us.
When it comes down to it,we have a bond and it's greater than being a Nation- it is that we are HUMAN. We are all in this life together. We need eachother.
I hope in remembering the events that happened 11 years ago today, we remember how important that it is not to lose sight of our call as human beings to be there for one another. You just might be someone's hero without even knowing....


No comments: