Sunday, June 20, 2010

Running and Life

OK! Yesterday was the day! I went to bed Friday night and said to myself, "Tomorrow morning is the day I am going to wake up, eat some cottage cheese, drink some coffee, a bit of water, and go out and accomplish 3 miles!"
Saturday morning I woke up and followed my planned schedule. I was determined to accomplish my goal. I had it in my head that it would be important to keep a slow pace so I would not tire too soon. I chose my music accordingly on my ipod. Nothing too fast- but upbeat enough to keep me moving!
As I jogged, I found that I needed to stay focussed. I had a rhythm going and I tried to keep it as steady as I could. At times, there were distractions, but I took my thoughts captive and blocked out those distractions as they came up- "The sun is so hot- I can feel the sweat dripping...NO! Here is the rhythm....concentrate on the run." "Move into the grass- there is a person walking dogs...NO! Keep the rhythm in the grass." "Where did the breeze go?? I am sooo hot! NO!- Keep the rhythm...finish the run. Meet the goal." "I am gonna finish this! - FASTER- FASTER! NO! Keep up the rhythm...no distractions....stay focussed."
I just knew that it was going to happen- the only thing that could possibly stand in my way was me~! And, I wasn't gonna let that happen!
The last half of a mile was so hard. Not because I was tired- but because I had to restrain myself! I was smiling from ear to ear! I mean, I had the biggest, silliest grin on my face because I knew I was about to accomplish my goal! I can only imagine what neighbors thought as they drove by and saw me running out there! lol
At last, it took me 40 minutes, but I ran - no stopping- no walking, for 40 minutes and made 3.08 miles! I was pumped! I felt like I could do anything! Is that a "Runner's High"  Perhaps I should have kept going?!
Lessons for me as I ran concerning life. KEEP FOCUSSED. Don't be distracted by things and people that try to take your eyes off of your priorities. There have been other areas of my life that I look at now and realize how I let something slip in and take my eyes off of what really mattered. If I pursue all of the relationships and goals in my life with such determination, there is really no telling how successful they will be. Not allowing distractions to interfere is HUGE! When I listen- really listen- keep my mind from wandering. When I am studying, really study and do not let anything take me away from it until I am done. When I have time with someone- devote that time to them- the cell phone can wait.
And on another end of the spectrum- don't push it, one thing at a time and then you can set new goals and strive for new accomplishments. Sometimes, a distraction can be as simple as trying to plan for the next thing before the current thing is even finished! (That's a problem us crazy planner-type people have!)
I love running as it gives me time to think and has been teaching me so much about life as I learn more about running.
I accomplished another small goal...next- picking up the pace! :)

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Way to go, Callico! I love that you had the biggest, silliest grin on your face at the end. That is so fun. I also love the new look of your blog. It's very pretty and peaceful.