Monday, July 23, 2012

Judge Not

This "Movie Theater Massacre" as they are calling it, has caused a great deal of discussion in our home with our four children ages 11, 13, 15 and 16.
The big debate has been mainly over two areas... and one of them has not been a debate as much as it seemed to "shock" a couple of kiddos.
Debate is mostly over sentencing of the man who comitted this heinous crime. Death penalty. Life in prison. The big question is, "How can we decide to take a life? It is not for us to judge."
This is how I always felt. I feel differently this time around, though.
I'm tired. I am tired of people doing this.


I told my daughter who seems to be the most against the death penalty that I have always felt like her about it until recently. I DO know where she is coming from.
However, I now am beginning to look at situations like this and say, "When there are two kids who are planning on egging someone's house, and one kid knows they will be getting a pretty severe spanking after and the other knows their parent will just yell, "I can't believe you did that! I told you not to!" Chances are, the one who MAY NOT do it will be the one who knows they will get spanked.
Are we doing the same thing with these people who decide to go in and randomly shoot innocent people? Are we, as the authority, making it easy for them to decide that it is ok because they know they will get life in prison instead of death?
I don't know.
Revenge is mine, says the Lord..... By sentencing someone to any degree we are determining punishment. Without punishment and consequence, there would be chaos.
I DO know that it is not for me to judge where the person will spend eternity! I explained to my daughter that I believe this man could have a come to Jesus moment, repent and be forgiven and go to heaven for eternity. I explained that I am praying for everyone involved in this- everyone from victims and their families to authorities to the rest of us and even the murderer. I said, "Everyone needs to know God; he is no exception."
The same daughter who was concerned about me judging was surprised that this man may end up in heaven. She wondered why she tries to behave and be good if people can do things like this and still go. My answer- that is the mystery of God's love. He is so merciful and extends grace to us all.
Only He knows what is in our heart and what really motivates us. He knows when we truly are sorry for something and when we are faking it. He knows if we truly love Him, or we don't. But, we are all created by Him and He loves us and wants so much for us to love Him and to love others. But, He won't force himself on anyone. (If he had to, it wouldn't be sincere, anyway...)
Still, I ponder this whole death penalty way of thinking I currently have. It is new for me.......

No comments: