Sunday, July 15, 2012

Climb Every Mountain!

                                                                   
Sing it with me... The Sound of Music's - "Climb Every Mountain, Ford every stream, Follow every rainbow, 'till you find your dream..."

I love a good challenge! It's who I am. I'm the girl who can't help but run faster when someone on the treadmill next to me is "beating me", even if I said I was going to take it easy in my work out for the day.

I'm the girl who doesn't believe in the word "can't".

I know where there is a will there is a way. I know there is always room for improvement. I know it feels great to check something off the list and say, "I did it!"

I also realize there are some mountains you simply choose NOT to climb. Pick your battles, so to speak. Decide which mountain you are gonna die on. Let's face it, some things just aren't worth the battle!

I have come across a couple things in my life that I have had to let go of as a result of this. There are a couple things in my life that I have decided are worth the effort and fight, as well.

Sometimes, it isn't just a thing. Sometimes it's a person- a relationship. Fight or flight?

THIS, however, coming up in a short 13 days, will mark the FIRST ACTUAL MOUNTAIN I will climb!! I cannot tell you how excited I am about this!! A long-time friend facebooked me to say he and his family are coming to Colorado and want to spend some time, hang out - enjoy the great outdoors. That, in and of itself was good to hear. A couple days ago, though, he shared a goal of hiking up PIKES PEAK, and he asked if I would like to join him!

This is no small feat! http://www.trailsandopenspaces.org/hiking-pikes-peak.html
People can die or get lost up there!! We will journey over 12 miles and reach an elevation of 14,115 feet! We will journey up the Barr Trail....
                                                              

However, this "hiking" in the mountains is something I LOVE. My friend is an ex-Army man and so he has some experience that I know will make us more safe! I am in descent shape and live at about 5,000 feet above sea level, and will continue to train until we make the treck on Friday the 27th of July.

What stirs inside me is the climb- I know it won't be easy. It will challenge me physically and mentally. But, when we make it to the top, what a glorious feeling!!! CLIMB EVERY MOUNTAIN.... 'TILL YOU FIND YOUR DREAM!

No comments: