Monday, August 27, 2012

One Decision.....Changes Everything.....

It's funny how things happen in life. You make one decision and it impacts so much and you don't even know  how much your life or the lives of those around you will change because of that one choice.

I am looking back and forward at the same time. Next weekend will mark one of the biggest weekends in my entire life as I reflect on the same weekend 20 years ago....


My cousin and I (who were more like sisters) were going to head to Columbus, Ohio to see a friend. (Also happened to be a guy both of us had dated a bit in high school.) But, we were out of high school for a few years and were all just friends. He was going to take us dancing at some cool clubs! We were pumped! We would have a pretty large town house to stay at because all of his college room-mates were away. (Except 2 of them ended up choosing to stay home for the long weekend after all.....and this would completely change my life.)

We arrive and instead of just meeting Jim, we also meet Mark and Shawn.We all hit it off. We had a blast! But, Mark and I had some very good conversation that would continue over the miles from Columbus to Cleveland for the next couple weeks which turned into months and .....

Well, that was Labor Day 1992. I had no idea how that one weekend could and would change my life! We were married in February 1995. We had a daughter in December 1995, another in May 1997, another in October 1998 and another in November of 2000. We moved 8 times since then- sometimes, just across town, sometimes to another state. We have met so many people. But, life had changed drastically after going to Columbus for a weekend of fun!

Next weekend, I will find myself where I am currently living with my family.Firestone, Colorado. In other moves we made as a family, following my husband on his career path, my life changed.... our lives changed....but not to the degree they are about to here, in this place.


We will be opening a non-profit business for teens in our three towns to come and hang out, get help with homework, attend fitness and wellness classes, do arts- fine and performing and serve in the community together. A place called THAT PLACE. www.thatplacecolorado.com

This is something that if you asked me 20 years ago, I would have had NO CLUE I would be doing. If you asked me just 2 years ago when we first moved here....well, that's when I began to feel the nudge to do this.... Would it have happened if I would not have met Mark (my husband)? Would it have happened if I didn't have my four girls? Would it have happened if I had moved someplace else?

All I know is the path that has led me (us) here, has led us to this point...to do what we are doing, where we are doing it. And it all started one weekend 20 years ago......



1 comment: