Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Living Here and Now

I have been learning a lesson for a little over a year...a gradual process that has been leading to gradual change in my life.
As I said, I am "planner" by nature....or maybe it was learned...or maybe it was some of both! Whatever the case, I believe this is a strength in many ways as I can look ahead and be prepared and have options and really get things accomplished! I also have realized that it can be one of my hugest weaknesses!
You see, sometimes I can get so busy planning, that I am not living in the moment. I can miss so much when I am not paying enough attention to what is happening right now- and who is in front of me right now.
The Bible is clear-- "This is the day the Lord has made- rejoice and be glad in it!" How can I rejoice and be glad about today, when I am not even paying attention to it!? How can I truly be "in it" when my mind id somewhere days or weeks or even months away?
Also, we see God as ever-present. He is the Great "I Am". If He is present each moment and I am created in His image, I imagine I need to try to be present each moment, too.
Now, I am not saying God isn't a planner...I think He is. "I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord..." I just think in His perfection- He does not struggle with balancing His planning and living in the moment. I do. I am not perfect.
He has really been helping me with this. One way He has helped is by putting friends and a husband in my life who are more of the "Moment by moment" kind of people. I learn a lot from them as I see them just living....

No comments: