Sunday, December 26, 2010

Resolving to be Content

Yes, yes....this is my second time blogging in one day, I know. I told you. I have been thinking a lot, lately.

About 5-6 years ago, I was asked to speak on a topic at a Women's Retreat in Ohio based on a Max Lucado book called "Traveling Light". My talk was on being Content. It was the beginning of my realization that I have such a struggle in that area.

I am not really sure why people have the personalities they do. I know that some of it is supposed to be natural and some is formed by circumstances in your environment. I have taken personality tests, gift tests, and the Strengths test. They basically have all confirmed what I already knew about myself. I love people, but I need time alone. I am very responsible and task oriented and always see room for improvement. I don't like to waste time. I enjoy doing and being busy and moving forward.

Well, I have this inner drive. It pushes me. Motivates me. Can make me seem competitive. This innner drive can drive those around me crazy! It can make me tired... it can make you tired if you read my posts on facebook.

I seem to have this need to do more, be more, see more... I guess the common theme is more. And, for the coming year I am resolving to do less, be less, see less.... I feel in part, that all this endless searching and reaching and striving that I do can distract from the absolutely wonderful and fulfilling life that I actually already have.

I have a loving husband, four wonderful daughters, pets, a lovely home, great friends and extended family, a fabulous church, a job that I truly enjoy, the opportunity to serve in family ministry at my church, and enough responsibility that goes along with all of that-- why would I feel I needed more????

I am going to stop what I like to call "dissing my content" and start fully appreciating and fully giving myself to those things that are most important to me. I am going to be content! This is my Resolution. :) Please, don't let me get distracted!! :)

No comments: