Monday, December 6, 2010

When the Rubber Meets the Road






All of us on on a road to somewhere...a journey if you will. Each of us has a path we choose to follow.

Sometimes, on this journey called "my life", I have gone down paths of beauty and found much joy. Sometimes, I have gone down very dark and scary paths and had to find my way to a new place. Other times, the path has seemed uneventful and fairly boring. While on the road, I have journeyed with some people, crossed paths with some, and have just walked by others.

The older I get, the more I realize how each person, as they travel down their own personal road, is valuable, is learning, growing, and experiencing what is necessary for them to become the person they were meant to be in the end. Along the road the people that we come in contact with can make a huge difference in the final outcome of our own journeys, if we let them. And, we have the capability of making a huge difference in the lives of those we come in contact with, if they let us.

I talk of loving people. I talk of wanting to help others. If this is true, then when things get ugly, when people make poor choices, when they lie or hurt me in some way as they struggle down their path- I have a choice to make. Am I going to stay and show them love - maybe tough love- but love, none-the-less, or am I going to walk away from them and turn my back on an opportunity to potentially help them head down a path that is more full of life and joy and good opportunity. After all, some bad choices down a dark road does not mean that a person is a bad person. It means they may have simply made some bad choices...and haven't we all??

I hope I am going to back my words and my thoughts about loving people with action. When the rubber meets the road, I am hoping to grab the wheel and drive- with a purpose!

No comments: