Monday, November 15, 2010

Parallel Worlds Intersect!



As I write this I am smiling from the inside out! I think it is absolutely cool and amazing how life works and it is with much enthusiam and anticipation that I think about all the possibilities of the future right now!

What has happened is this: about a month ago one of my best friends in the world from Canton, Ohio texted me on a Sunday morning. She told me that they had some friends that we would love who were moving from Canton to Colorado! She wanted me to "friend" the mom of the family on Facebook. So, of course I did just that! (This is the second time one of my best friends told me about a new friend I needed to meet in a new area we had just moved to- the last one turned into another best friend- what did I have to lose?)

So, I "friended" this lady and came to find out that her husband was coming before her and their FOUR DAUGHTERS....Yes! That's right- 4 girls...all between the ages of 13-8 (we have four daughters between the ages of 15-10 and Mark came out here before us) Coincidence?? I think not!

In our emailing on FB, I discovered that she was very emotional about all of this- leaving family, friends, being a temporary single parent to four daughters with a busy life, the oldest daughter was quite down on the whole move, and somewhere within all of that- she knew this was for the best and would all work out.

Wow....my heart immediately became attached to this family. I felt for them, literally! After all, we had just been down such a similar road just a couple months before. I remembered Mark talking about how lonely it was to stay in a hotel for 4 months- how much he missed me and the kids and the busyness of our lives together. I felt not only for this Momma that I could relate to, for the oldest daughter- who reminded me of my oldest, but also for this Dad that was beginning to remind me of my husband.

Well, as anyone who knows me knows...I wanted to extend a helping hand...to try to help in some way...it was on my heart to offer the Dad to move in with our crazy family until he could find a home and get his family out here with him. I aksed Mark-- which many people know is the logical one of us, and will often pull me back down to the ground when my heart starts fluttering with emotion all over the place...I was wondering...what will he say? Will it be "No, not now..." I mean, we do already have an exchange student here. He has said "not now" about adopting, about bringing an 18 year old homeless boy into our home...I wasn't sure....

HE SAID, "YES!!" And it gets more amazing!! In fact, when we lived in Canton, we lived only a block away from this family. Our kids took dance lessons at the same dance studio and in fact in some of the same classes! We were friends with some of the same people and never met! Never even remember seeing eachother!!

It was as if we lived in parallel worlds-- until a time such as this! We both took a turn- a little change in direction- to a new place and now our paths have crossed!! And, it is amazing! One might look at the situation and think that it seems like we are being "helpful", "caring", "sweet" or "generous". The fact of the matter is that we are doing just what we felt led to do. In return, we are feeling tremendously blessed - it is like having family here so far away....I really cannot wait to see how our family and this family develop relationally as our paths have intersected at a time when both of us have left so much behind and ventured out here! I cannot wait to see all that is in store for us as families and as friends. (I will keep you posted!) ;)

Exciting, right??!!

No comments: