Monday, April 25, 2011

Sometimes the Best Things Cannot Be Planned...by Us



The girls and I recently finished reading Anne of Green Gables. We decided to watch the movie and eat popcorn to celebrate!

It was such a good story with powerful life lessons in it throughout- but I think a huge life lesson can be found that seems almost like a thread that is weaved through the story from beginning to end.

Anne came into the lives of Marilla and Matthew sort of unexpectedly. Yes, they knew they would be taking in an orphan- but they were expecting (wanting) a boy. There plans were to have a young man who could do some manual labor and work hard with Matthew.

Anne was a frail young girl. The only thing big about her was the gift of gab that she possessed! It was clear from the start that she was not what they were looking for.

To Anne, however, Marilla and Matthew and Green Gables was just what she wanted. More than she expected and where she really wanted to be and stay.

Three different perspectives...Anne was happy with what she had from the beginning there with them. Matthew seemed like he was not far behind in recognizing that maybe what he had thought he wanted or was hoping for, wasn't meant to be and that maybe Anne was just what was needed in their lives.  He didn't seem so "hell-bent" if you will, on having things the way he planned. Marilla, on the other hand- it seemed to take longer for her. She was somewhat a "take charge" "planning" kind of person.

For those of us with that kind of personality, we understand that sometimes when our best-laid plans- our hopes- our desires- or even our dreams go awry- we can take a little longer to accept the new way... the unplanned... the unknown...

I am by nature a planner. I have been as long as I can remember. Planning everything- names, vacations, schedules, meals, budgets. I enjoy knowing what is in store. I enjoy thinking and figuring things out.

This year so far, though, has handed me things one-by-one that I have been very shocked by. Things that were not in my plan, my hopes, my dreams. I am learning that something I have lacked in this life has been the ability to just surrender and relax and know that whatever happens, happens for a reason. That undoubtedly there is a reason for it...and it will all work out for some sort of good.

In the story- we all come to find out that not only were the Cuthberts and Green Gables a wonderful blessing to Anne- just what she needed to flourish in this life- SHE was exactly what THEY needed as well. Ahhhhh..... I love a happy ending! :) How much sweeter life is, when we learn to just be grateful for what has been given to us and truly appreciate our blessings and allow them to work in our lives, instead of trying to figure it all out on our own!

No comments: