Friday, April 29, 2011

Coming out of the Closet

Well, you see, one thing on my list of things to do when I gave up FB for 40 days, was to clean out my closet. I was feeling like I had too much. I actually was pretty poor as a young girl and have found there are certain things I tend to hold onto as an adult because of this.

One thing is food. DON'T touch my food. If it's on my plate- it is mine and I ain't into sharing~! Also, I always like to have back-ups on hand. You know gotta have an extra ketchup, mustard, salad dressing, mayo...don't want to run out. I eat most everything in a unique and loving way and I sometimes hide food to ensure I get some- and no one else eats it!

The other thing is my clothing. I have been given clothes- hand-me-downs- and for whatever reason, I may not really like them, but I keep them- just in case. I have clothes that don't fit me- but I keep them-just in case. I have clothes that are ancient- but I keep them just in case. LOL

So, getting back to the point, I went through and got rid of a couple bags of clothing from my big closet. It is not walk-in, but it is actually 2 closets with a long shelf over top. I used every inch of the bar for hang up clothing and then folded clothes on the shelf above. I have shoes and bags on the floor of it.- And, yes, they go all the way across as well.

It felt good to have gotten rid of some things. The next day, I slid open the door and I went to grab something off the hanger. I knew exactly where to grab as all of my things are hanging up according to likeness and color. Low and behold, it wasn't there. I looked, and to my dismay, NOTHING was there! I looked down and there was the bar, with all of the clothing, laying on the floor! UGH!

 

Frustrated, I called my husband and told him about the ordeal. I took most things out of the closet because some wood actually broke and the bar was bent...

He fixed things up and I began to hang thing up again. I got about half way through (after deciding not to hang up my wedding dress or heavy wool winter coat) and as I walked away I heard a big CRASH! NO! The bar had fallen again AND the shelf had come undone!! "WHAT??!!" I said, "I give up!"

I walked over and looked at the clothes on the floor of the closet again. I looked at the clothes on the loveseat beside the bed. I shook my head. I still had so much! Was he seriously telling me I should get rid of more? (He had made the comment after the first fix and second fall...)


Well, I had been in a state of refusal. I refused to understand how this closet which held more of my clothes over the past 8 months, could suddenly not be capable of withstanding the load! I was determined that I had gotten rid of enough. I liked keeping my clothes. There was comfort, somehow in knowing I had so much.


My husband was going to have one or two friends come and give him some pointers on how to fix the problem. I began thinking about the possibility of them teasing me when they witnessed all that I had and I became embarrasses and ....Then it hit me. I am tired of living in a messy clothes-filled room. I am tired of my closet breaking. I should not have so many clothes that I KNOW others would look and be amazed and possibly think I had a problem....I set out to give clothes to people who really NEEDED some- not some "just in case" but really actually NEEDED....and I had kept soooo much!

I am going to make myself change. I am going to go through and get rid of anything I have not worn in the past year. THAT should get rid of a lot of clothes!

Isn't this how we are though? We get comfortable. We like to keep comfortable. Even when what is bringing us comfort is breaking, causing problems, making a mess....we want to keep it....for some reason....

The next entry from me will be different. It will be pictures of a neat and tidy, fixed closet- with LESS. It will be of my experience and emotions as I cleaned it up and got a little uncomfortable...by getting rid of an old habit.....

Yes- it will be more about me coming out of the closet with this embarrassing part of me and my living...and hopefully, it will inspire someone not to feel so bad about their own issues.... :)

1 comment:

Wendy Grimes said...

Love it! :-) I go through old pictures to see what I'm wearing...if it's been at least 3 years of an item, I get rid of it. Our Christmas picture had me wearing the SAME red sweater for 5 straight years. I miss swapping old stuff with you!