Saturday, May 7, 2011

Reflections on Mother's Day of What My Momma Taught Me....



Two winters ago, my mom was unemployed and was going to some place that was helping her in her jobless situation. While there she met many different people. A few of the people she met were jobless and homeless.

She had been living in a cheap place- it was really all she could afford without a job- and in the midst of her staying there, she became aware that a homeless veteran was ill and not being treated very considerately at the homeless shelter he would go to in order to survive the cold winter nights.

My mom did not judge this guy. My mom had compassion on him. She decided to switch places with him. She gave him her warm, albeit, tiny space that she was paying for with her minimal income and she went to the homeless shelter. She didn't ask for anything from him. She didn't even make it public knowledge that she was doing this. Her own kids didn't even know....

I have been thinking about this because tomorrow is Mother's day. I have chosen to go walk a 5K with my family to celebrate as it goes toward helping the homeless in Denver....and there are perks to go along- food and fun after, t-shirts, and ticket vouchers to a Rockies game later.

I know I have learned many things from many people....but I am thankful this Mother's Day that I learned to be both- nonjudgemental and compassionate in great part- because of my beautiful mother!

THANKS MOM! I love you!

No comments: