Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Forgiveness Part 1

THIS seems like a HUGE topic....
although, it isn't really that ginormous when you break it down!
So, I am gonna try to break it down, yo! lol
Many people think that in forgiving another person, you are saying that what they did is OK.

NOT TRUE!!!!!!         

What is actually happening within forgiveness is that you are not requiring or wanting revenge- or justice for what happened.

I have struggled with this in my life with people on many different levels. I have needed to learn to forgive wrong that was done by way of heart-break, death, physical abuse, verbal mistreatment, judgemental attitudes...some things that were intentional and some that were not. My struggles are the same as everyone else on the planet. We have all been wronged- we are all imperfect!

In some instances these wrongs were realized by the other person(s) involved and they sought out my forgiveness. In some instances, they never realized their part -or if they did, simply didn't care enough to seek the forgiveness.

I am FAR from perfect. But, I have been looking at, dealing with, and praying about forgiveness since early this past spring. Probably almost 9 months. I can honestly say that at this moment in time, I feel I have forgiven every person in every situation as far back as I can remember and as recent as this morning, at this moment. :)

It is a GREAT feeling, being at a place of forgiveness, as harboring unforgiveness makes me restless...makes me feel a sense of discontentment...and brings me to a place of almost torment inside at times with feelings of resentment and unfinished business. It makes me UGLY.

The thing about forgiveness is that it can be a reoccurring event. Being imperfect beings, we can have moments where we slip back and those old wounds are reopened and we have to forgive once again.

But, it is worth it! FAR better than the alternative- When I don't forgive, on the outside it is apparent, as I have nothing nice to say about the other person. I may have nothing but ugly words to say to the person or about the person. I may hate the thought of even being in their presence- or picture dumping a bucket of ice cold water over their head out in the snow- or even slapping them across the face in my mind. On the indside I am churning...thinking over and over again about the situation- unable to let it go- unable to move on. Inside I am stuck. IT IS UGLY!

 It is poison!


It is poison to us...not to the other person when we harbor unforgiveness....
The other person, as I stated earlier, may not even realize that they have done wrong- or they may just not care. If that is the case- the only person being damaged by the torment  going on in your mind and body over the issue at hand is YOU!

Why do that to yourself????? :)

No comments: