Monday, November 14, 2011

Forgiveness Part 3

So, it has taken me a while to finish this up....Forgiveness- Part 3.
I wrote about forgiving yourself and forgiving others already....today is the "how" part of all of that.

I definitely can only speak for myself....as I have only experienced how I personally forgive...

I pray. I ask God to help me forgive. I sometimes have to picture myself giving the offense- or the offender to Him and then picture myself walking away. Sometimes, depending on the depth of the wound, I have to do these things repeatedly....



I sometimes have to remind myself of how often I have needed to be forgiven and how imperfect I have been- how MUCH I appreciate the grace and the mercy I have been shown. (It is much more difficult for me to feel the need to "repay" or have revenge on someone for something they have done when I realize how I could have been treated for the wrongs I have done.)

I have to remind myself that the God I know is the fullness of goodness and trustworthiness and so whatever I give to Him, He will handle in the best way! I am reminded that I am thankful it is He who has handled my own transgressions and for that I am thankful as people are not nearly as good and trustworthy as He is.

I am really not sure how people forgive when they don't know and have a relationship with God. I know some people without that relationship and knowlege who choose to hold on to bitterness and unforgiveness and they usually end up with a hardened heart and become sort of grumpy and untrusting. I am sure it is not true of everyone. But, I can only write on this topic from my own understanding and experience.

As I said in an earlier post. Forgiveness doesn't mean that you are saying it is "ok". It is NOT "OK" that a man took my friend's life- but I can get to the point where I don't want to punish him myself because of what he did.

If you are in a relationship with a person who continually hurts you, I believe we can forgive-(not want to punish) and at the same time choose to distance ourselves a bit from the situation.Forgiving someone isn't giving them permission to walk on you like a door mat. If you recognize that being with a person who is negatively affecting the rest of your life - you cannot continue to be brought down like that. It is my opinion that we have a duty in this life to try to be positive, loving, encouraging, and a light- we cannot do this when we are constantly being brought down by negativity, hate, discouragement and darkness. So, sometimes, in order that we may continue to do our duty, we have to separate ourselves from the other.

I am thankful to know God. I am thankful to know the love and forgiveness he offers to me and everyone else! He is how I have been able to forgive others and He is how I will be able to continue to forgive. I hope you know Him!

No comments: