Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Beauty of Forgiveness

I have had some people in my life look up to me. I have had some people in my life call me a hypocrite and look down on me. Neither of these positions makes me happy. I have struggled my whole life wanting to make people happy- so, knowing full well that I am always going to let someone down because of how imperfect I am, makes me worrisome and pressured when they think too highly of me. On the other hand- people who judge me and seemingly dislike me...well, that makes me feel bad, too, because I want to be liked and I love people- so I don't enjoy being hated!

However, one thing that has become apparent to me over the years (and it has taken me 40)- is that you can never please everyone all the time. That is freeing!! I have learned that the harder someone judges another person, usually means the person doing the judging is the one with the bigger issues...I mean, let's face it- NO ONE is perfect- NOT EVEN ONE of us living here on earth. Knowing that I am imperfect should push me toward grace and mercy for others, knowing that I need it as well.

In 1 Timothy 1:15 Paul says this, "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst." This is often times, exactly how I feel.

Also in Romans 7:15 Paul says this, "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do."

Today, as I reflect on a life full of sin and grossness....I am thankful that I am forgiven! FORGIVENESS IS A  BEAUTIFUL THING!

No comments: