Sunday, June 16, 2013

Beauty for Ashes

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Beauty for Ashes

I can't remember when I started wanting to go on a Mission Trip. I do know that I always pictured going to Africa. We met some great friends while living in Oklahoma and the thought of going with them and their family of three young daughters to Mexico stirred something in my heart, but my husband said no, our daughters were all four 5 and under and he said there was too much risk.... I just know that as long as I can remember I have wanted to go. I have always been compelled to - and have often told myself that my mission field was right where I was- wherever I was. There is always and everywhere a need to spread God's love by being His hands and feet - serving and loving others. So, throughout my life, I have stayed close to home and have done what I can.
This past year, the pastor of the youth group I serve in announced to us that our youth group would put together a team to go on a Mission Trip to Belize. We would most likely work with an orphanage, do VBS and sports and visit elderly shut ins and love and build relationships with these people. There was already a tugging at my heart. I have wanted to adopt since I was in 4th grade and I have no grandparents left in this world- which can at times leave a big void for me as I spent a lot of time with both of my grandmothers. I adore the elderly.
Then he said we would go June 8th. WHAM! That just about sealed the deal in my heart. My niece, only 12 days younger than my oldest daughter, was hit by a car and killed on June 8th at the age of 9. Somehow, hearing that date and realizing we had the opportunity to love on these kids who needed love on a date that had been a very sad date in our lives, could now be a date when we took the sadness, the pain and loss we felt and feel and bring hope and love to others.... to other kids.... I am not sure how to put it into words.... but I had a lump in my throat immediately and I thought, "If even one of my girls wants to go do this, we will go. I will know without a shadow of a doubt that this is God's plan for us." I asked my two oldest daughters after service what they thought and they BOTH said they wanted to go. (Another lump in my throat!)
I had no idea how we would raise the money. $1850 per person x 3. That ain't cheap!! But, I knew we were supposed to go and I knew I needed more faith!
Interestingly, one of us was provided for rather quickly.... and so that left 2 person's funds to raise. 
Another surprise. I opened a place for teens to hang out and an Artist came and showed the students (and me) a little bit about working with Charcoal pencils. I found a focus and calming when I drew with them and a freedom. I began to draw and people began to tell me I should sell them. (Mind you, I haven't had an art class since 8th grade!) But, I sold them- lots of them! We raised a good deal of money through these drawings. We had several people just want to support us financially as they thought what we were doing was a good thing and they wanted to help us get there! Also, my husband and I were put on staff coaching the girls' basketball team at the high school and some of the money we were paid from that went into our funding. We also had a "Zumbathon" and raised some money dancing! We worked some fundraisers at restaurants and concessions for Upward Basketball.....We obviously prayed and had lots of people praying for us- and it happened! That BIG sum of money all came together little bits at a time and we are now spending the next several days preparing for the trip that we might have ignored of looked at as impossible to attain...... GOD IS GOOD!
The reality is my mind is this. My niece, Kaylynn, is not my first experience with pain and loss and she wasn't my last. I was close to her age when I lost my best friend due to a drunk driver and my most recent painful losses have been my grandmothers and my sweet Uncle Ralph. But, when we go through things like that, we can choose to stay in the pain, suffering and loss- or we can use those feelings to fuel us toward a life filled with an appreciation for life, love and people and we can make it our goal to live, love and serve to the fullest of our abilities. We can become bitter and hardened or we can become compassionate and soft for others. 
I prefer Beauty for the Ashes.... 


No comments: