Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Love Always Protects


I can remember walking into a room and seeing my little brother climbing on a big book case that was starting to lean in toward him as he climbed. I ran in and put myself under it's weight and held it there on top of  us as I called to my mom for help. I didn't even have to think about it. I loved that little guy and wasn't about to let anything hurt him.

Now, I am older and I have my own children and it seems that since they have come into my life, I have stumbled on a whole new level of protection. I am protective over them in every way possible. I protect their feelings, by being careful of how and what I say to and about them. I protect their brains as much as I can by what I allow in to influence them such as music and TV. I protect their bodies through cautioning them and teaching them about safety, as well as setting limits for what they can and cannot do. I am so much more cautious with my own life now as I know my living is important to them.

Recently, I am learning to not protect in the same ways I used to- as I have to give them more freedom as they get older...freedoms to choose for themselves and at times, I realize there is a possibility that they will end up hurt physically or emotionally because of this. However, I offer guidance and draw lines where I can and pray they trust me enough to follow and know that I am here to protect, love and help them through. I will also be here should they choose another path and end up hurt. I will always be here....I love them.

We were talking as a family on day about this part of love. We said that as an example, if car or a bullet were coming at someone we loved, we (my husband or myself) would jump in front to take the hit for the kids or for eachother. THAT is love. Being willing to lay down your own life for the life of another.

THAT is what Jesus did for us. Similarly, the things we read about in the Bible. The rules, the guidance, the warnings are there for our protection. LOVE ALWAYS PROTECTS.

No comments: